West Bengal Medical Council is an Autonomous Body constituted under the provisions of the Bengal Medical Act 1914 and governed by the Rules & Regulations framed under this Act.
The composition of West Bengal Medical Council is as under:
- Three nominated members by the Government of West Bengal
- Three Ex-officio Members
- Seven elected members from amongst the medical practitionersengaged in teaching capacity
- Seven elected members from amongst the general medical practitionersof West Bengal
The President and the Vice President are elected from amongst the above members. The term of the Council is generally for five years.
Rights And Authorities
- West Bengal Medical Council grants registration to the qualified medical practitioners, who possess qualification(s) as per Schedules to the National Medical Commission.
- This Council gives recognition to the Fellowship Courses being conducted in the State with the approval of the Council.
- This Council is empowered with the authroity to investigates into the cases of medical negligence / breach of ethics by erring medical practitioners on the basis of complaints lodged in this respect. After investigation, if the medical practitioner(s) is / are found guilty of infamous conduct / breach of ethics, the Council can impose punishment in terms of provisions laid down in this resepct in the Bengal Medical Act 1914.
- This Council sanctions credit hours to the Organizing Bodies conducting CME ( Continuing Medical Education ) programme.
- This Council publishes quarterly medical journal viz. MEDICAL GLORY for upgrading knowledge of the medical fraternity in conformity with the rapid progress of modern medical science.